In Spain they say "cómo va lo mío"

New online service for information on residency applications

20 / Mar

“Cómo va lo mío” (how are things going with mine?) is an expression often used in Spain to refer to a request for information on the status of a procedure with the public administration. With this popular expression, the General State Administration has developed an online service where you can check the status of certain procedures, such as the nationality application procedure.

Applying for a country’s nationality usually requires following certain requirements and procedures established by the legislation of the country in question. To apply for Spanish nationality, certain requirements must be met, including legal residence in Spain for a certain period of time, no criminal record, legal capacity and knowledge of the Spanish language. It is also necessary to pass a Spanish constitutional and socio-cultural knowledge test (CCSE) and, in some cases, a Spanish language test. To start applying for Spanish nationality, an application must be submitted to the corresponding Immigration office (Oficina de Extranjería).

To obtain information on the status of proceedings in Spain, you can use the online service of the Administración General del Estado “Cómo va lo mío”. To access this service, you will need the procedure reference number and the applicant’s NIF/NIE. And if necessary, you will be able to obtain information on the status of your procedures by calling the general information telephone number 060.

To obtain a residence card in Spain, you need to go to an immigration office or a police station with an immigration department, as not all police stations have one. At these offices, you can get information on the requirements and documents needed to apply for a residence permit and submit your application.

Depending on the status of the applicant and the type of residence you are applying for, the application procedure may change. As you know, citizens of the European Union and the European Economic Area are subject to a different procedure than citizens of non-EU countries.

Citizens of the European Union and the European Economic Area must apply for an EU citizen’s registration certificate or that of their non-EU family member. The application can be made at the nearest immigration office or online through the Ministry of the Interior’s website. Several documents are required: passport/identity card, certificate of census registration, proof of financial means and medical insurance.

If you are a UK citizen, as well as in the case of non-EU citizens, the procedure is more complicated, but with the option to apply for temporary or permanent residence. The procedure starts at the immigration office and several documents must be presented: passport, proof of good conduct, employment contract or proof of sufficient financial resources and health insurance. In addition, a knowledge test of Spanish culture and society may be required, and an interview must be held at the Immigration Office.

Rafael Montes Velastegui